Root Canal Therapy
What is a Root Canal?
When decay or infection develops or spreads inside a tooth, root canal therapy is often performed to repair it and keep the tooth from dying and having to be removed.
With a root canal treatment, Westerville Dental Associates saves the tooth by cleaning out the damaged areas and surrounding decay, and then filling the space to restore the tooth to its full use.
Root Canal Process
A root canal procedure requires one or more appointments. During the first appointment:
- We numb your tooth before any work is begun.
- An opening is made on top of the tooth.
- The infected pulp and nerve tissue are removed from inside the tooth.
- It is then cleaned and disinfected, and a filling is used to seal the opening.
During the next appointment:
- A crown is normally placed to further protect the tooth.
Our team will provide you with complete instructions for preparing for surgery and proper care after the treatment.